What is this Vintage Sampler Pattern?

by TJ
(Plano, TX)

Vintage Sampler?

Vintage Sampler?

I have a couple of questions - the first one is how do I find out information on a vintage sampler pattern that I bought at an estate sale? I am enclosing a picture. I have looked at a ton of pictures online but cannot find it.

Also why are they called samplers? Are all needlework patterns called samplers?

Oh and maybe one more question - how can you tell if a pattern on a canvas is stamped or hand painted?

sorry if these questions are elementary but I am just learning about needlework.

Thank you so much.

Comments for What is this Vintage Sampler Pattern?

Average Rating starstarstarstarstar

Click here to add your own comments

What is this Vintage Sampler Pattern?
by: Anonymous

I have never seen this pattern before, can't help with that.
Older needlework and newer work that copies the style are called samplers because they were a sample of a stitch or a pattern. Before there were magazines and patterns available everywhere, girls learned their stitches by making samplers. This was an item that was used like we a book now; we look at it and copy it. That was the function of samplers and why they almost always included alphabets. Not everyone could read or recall how a letter was shaped to stitch a monogram.
You can usually tell a hand-painted canvas from a commercially printed one by an artist's signature or an inventory number. Brush strokes are another clue.

Click here to add your own comments

Return to needlework questions.