(Richmond, Virginia, USA)
In June, hydrangea bushes with their blue clusters of flowers and colorful daylilies are reminders that summer has arrived where I live.
These flowers were stitched on unbleached muslin with DMC cotton floss.
For the daylilies I used large and small detached chain stitches for the flowers and yellow buds. The center of the daylily flowers were satin stitched yellow (the outside was detached chain
in orange). For their stems I used fly stitches. I had seen fly stitches made large like these before, so I gave it a try. An interesting effect, but being about 2" or 4-5 cm tall, they run the risk of being pulled out.
The leaves of the hydrangea bush are also detached chain stitches, one stitched inside another to make a solid looking leaf. I used French knots for the blue hydrangea blossoms. I got lots of practice, which I need, because I have trouble making French knots that are neat looking. I used two threads and now I wish I'd used three, because I think it would have given them more texture.
The grass was done in an uneven blanket stitch to try to make it look like real grass.
I have thoroughly enjoyed sewing this little garden, and am planning another project. Thanks for the opportunity!